Saturday, 9 June 2012

Painting Birdhouses

Before we moved here I researched different charities within metro Manila and found a shelter for young girls who had been sexually abused/exploited. The shelter requests donations such as toiletries, clothes, food, and school supplies, but what caught my was that they also want volunteers to teach the girls arts and crafts, introduce them to sports or as stated on their website: "anything that will help them recover from their dark pasts and transform them into renewed citizens and children of God." Before our move I found some little birdhouses on sale at the Michael's craft store and thought they would be fun to bring to the shelter for the girls to paint. A couple days ago I went to the shelter with Addy, Torah, and also a friend and her three children. It was a wonderful experience. The girls at the shelter seemed a little shy at first, yet by the end they were smiling and playing with our kids, some of them asked us to take their picture, and they requested we stay a little longer so they could do a dance performance for us. They did two cute dance numbers and then they asked us to join in and dance with them for the third. Torah enjoyed the dancing while Adelaide was hungry by this point and ready to go home. She refused to watch them dance at the time, but I filmed them (you can watch the video at end of this post)and now she asks to watch it again and again. Seeing them smile and giggle while dancing you would never guess they have been through so much. The director mentioned how it is sometimes very hard for the girls to even stay in the shelter because they are used to living on the streets where they have the freedom to do whatever they want. It is an adjustment for them to suddenly have so much structure and even simple things such getting up early in the morning and cleaning up after themselves can be a challenge. Anyway, I look forward to going back. Please let me know if you have any arts/crafts ideas that we could do with them. Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Addy's colorful birdhouse. Photobucket Addy heard me compliment a girl about her birdhouses being beautiful and a while later I noticed her walking from girl to girl pointing to each birdhouse saying "I like your roof," or "Wow, that's pretty." Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Wow Kalista, it is so amazing that you were able to do something like this! You are so thoughtful, im sure the girls loved their birdhouses! Even though you told me about doing this, is so touching to see the video and pics. I wasn't expecting the girls to be so young. it is heartbreaking to think what they have been through, but at the same time so inspiring that they are all happy, smiling and dancing! I will definitely try to think of more art projects you can do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful and meaningful! I love that you're doing this Kalista. I love the happy faces these girls have, wish I could be there too to spend some time with them.
    xx
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I just checked out pinterest for some craft idea's for the girls and there are LOADS on there.
    x
    H

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome thing for you to do! And it's so neat you could take your girls with you. I have looked for similar opportunities here but they all require volunteers to be at least 12 years old. :( I'm glad you are doing things like this and will keep my eyes open for crafts!

    ReplyDelete